Carnelian is a popular crystal known for its ability to help increase feelings of vitality, confidence, and joy, but many using it don’t yet know how to cleanse carnelian. Because it is such a strong energetic stone, it’s important to cleanse carnelian regularly to keep its energetic properties pure and strong. Today, we’ll guide you through all the different ways you can cleanse and charge carnelian.
Healing crystals are a great way to ground ourselves and fend off any negative energy we may absorb during the day. While we can benefit from these stones, we must then cleanse them so that the negative energy is dispelled before we use them again.
A lot of the power behind cleansing and charging crystals lies in the user’s intention. For example, if you visualize negative energy wafting away from your carnelian stone, you’re far more likely to feel the positive effects than if you perform these cleansing rituals mindlessly.
When you work with a carnelian stone, you’re working with a stone of alchemy. You are setting the intention that all energy that doesn’t serve you will dissipate, only to be replaced by something more harmonious. You are ready to walk away from toxic friendships, futile relationships, and anything that disturbs detracts from your joy. Because all crystals absorb the energy around them, it’s important to cleanse your crystals before charging them to rid them of energy that has built up over time. Here are three simple ways you can cleanse your carnelian stone with intention:
You can cleanse carnelian with water without any concerns about damaging the stone.
- Take a large bowl and fill it with water
- Rinse your stone under running water for a couple of seconds and place it in its container, making sure it is completely submerged in water
- If you want to use your carnelian immediately after cleansing, let it soak for a few hours, or you can leave it in water overnight for deeper and more thorough cleansing
- Remove your carnelian from its container and rinse it under running water for ten seconds or so
- Pat dry before you return it with the rest of your collection so other stones aren’t affected negatively by the water.
Working with fresh tap water is always effective, but if you want to work in other elements to your practice, use moon water (water that has been charged under the light of the full moon) or freshwater from a local stream. You only need enough water to fully submerge the stone.
Smudging originates from Indigenous cultures and is a technique that has been used for centuries. Smudging uses herbs like sage, sweetgrass, palo santo, and lavender. This practice is held sacred for its metaphysical purposes, particularly when sage is used. Here’s how to use sage to energetically cleanse your crystals:
- Take some sage or a smudge stick and light it (alternatively, incense is also effective)
- Hold it around your crystals, visualizing that the smoke is purifying, cleansing, and charging your crystals with positive energy
- Let the smoke surround your crystal for 30 seconds or so, focusing your energy on the healing, cleansing, and refreshing of your carnelian crystal
- Once you’ve finished smudging your carnelian, open your window to release the smoke that the sage has generated
This method can be used to charge and cleanse your crystals simultaneously and will work on all stones. Moonlight lets your crystals soak up all the moon’s feminine energy so you can harness its strength in your everyday life.
To charge your crystals using the moon’s energy, place your carnelian on your windowsill before bed and leave it to charge overnight. For best results, place it there after dark has fallen and remove it before the sun rises.
You can plant your carnelian in the ground to return its energy to its form and re-activate its spirit. If you feel grounded by earth, find a safe spot for burying your carnelian, such as in a garden or beside your favorite plant. Bury your carnelian in the soil and leave it there for a day or two, then rinse with water.
Certain crystals shouldn’t come into contact with water too much based on their mineral composition. Crystals of a certain hardness level (measured by the Mohs scale of mineral hardness) should be cleansed in other ways. Carnelian has a score of 7 on the Mohs hardness scale, which is comparable to the area of hardness between a glass plate and a steel nail.
While carnelian responds well to being cleansed in water, frequent saltwater use should be avoided. Too much exposure to saltwater can weaken a carnelian’s strength and cause cracks on its surface.
Other crystals that can be cleansed using water include Amethyst, Aventurine, Carnelian, Madagascar Rose Quartz, Obsidian, Rose Quartz, and Tiger’s Eye. It’s worth noting that each of these crystals may require different cleansing and charging methods.
What should you avoid while cleansing carnelian?
You should avoid charging or cleansing your carnelian with sunlight. Sunlight is not suitable for many stones and carnelian is one that should not be left in the sun for long periods. It breaks down the minerals in the stone and the color fades.
Carnelian is known for its connection to all three root base chakras which ground us and give us the stability we need. Here are some ways you can use carnelian stone and maximize its healing purposes:
- Wear it as jewelry. Wearing any crystal in the form of rings, necklaces, earrings, or bracelets is a wonderful way to tap into its powers. By wearing carnelian jewelry, you can carry its strong vibrations wherever you go, clearing your lower chakras by placing it on the chakra point that needs a little extra strength. For example, if you’re experiencing menstrual pain, place your carnelian stone on your sacral chakra, or if you’re looking to boost your psychic abilities, place it on your third eye chakra point.
- Hold your carnelian in your hand while you meditate, letting its warm, healing energy pulsate through your hand. Let the energy wash over your arms, down your torso, and over your whole body.
- Carry it with you when you go out to a social gathering or event. Carnelian can help bolster your confidence, especially if you usually find social gatherings uncomfortable. Wear it as jewelry or put it in your pocket for some added bravery and confidence in any situation.
How do you charge carnelian?
It’s always a good idea to cleanse your carnelian before you charge it. To charge your carnelian, place it in the soil to ignite its earth energy. Another way of charging it is by leaving it in a narrow part of sunlight for a couple of hours. If you have an extensive crystal collection, you can charge your carnelian by leaving it in the presence of other energetic charging crystals such as clear quartz and selenite.
Carnelian is a powerful stone with the ability to bring peace upon the indecisive, those lacking self-confidence, and those with a fear of death. It’s a grounding stone that brings stability and awakens our true psychic ability.
Now that you know how to charge, maintain, and cleanse carnelian, you can explore its powerful energetic uses with confidence. Whether you use it to stabilize your energy or give yourself the confidence to walk away from whatever doesn’t serve you, you’ll know how carnelian works as a healing crystal.