If you’ve recently seen or received a hematite ring you’ve fallen in love with, you’ve likely wondered about your hematite ring’s meaning. Hematite rings can also break in the right circumstances, so it’s only natural to wonder what meaning theree is behind that, too. To learn everything you need to know about your hematite ring’s meaning and benefits, keep reading!
What is hematite?
Hematite is a beautiful and unusual stone that is an oxide of iron, chemically called ferric oxide or iron oxide. This stone has a metallic sheen, usually found in shades of silver, black, brown, or shades of red. This unique stone has a long history of being used by humans and today is well known for its grounding, calming properties, which can be particularly useful when worn as a ring.
Ancient people used powdered hematite for their cave paintings, ancient Greeks called it heima which comes from their word for blood, and Native Americans are believed to have used it for war paint. While powdered hematite retains this red color, the hematite we have all come to know and loved is usually polished into inky black with specks like the night sky.
Hematite Ring Meaning
Hematite has the meaning of balance. Hematite is a strong grounding stone that helps the user or wearer feel like they have their feet firmly connected to the ground and to source. It is known to stabilize the body and mind by connecting with the root chakra and thus to the energy of the Earth.
Hematite is also one of the best stones for defense against negativity – it protects the wearer from negative energies and is even thought to defend against evil energies and entities.
Hematite Ring Break Meaning
If your hematite ring breaks, it likely means that it has absorbed all the negative energy it can on your behalf, and so must break apart to release that energy. This is not a sign that anything is necessarily trying to attack you – it may simply be from the build-up of energy over time, especially if you haven’t recently cleansed it.
If your hematite ring breaks it may also simply mean that your time with the stone is complete, and it’s time to move on and work with another stone.
You can cleanse and give the parts of your ring to friends or family who are struggling and need the strong grounding qualities of the stone.
Is hematite magnetic?
Hematite has mild magnetic qualities, which means you likely won’t see its magnetic qualities but you may be able to measure it with the right equipment. It’s for this reason that is often used for magnetic healing jewelry and is believed to help the body heal, especially where blood, kidneys, and tissue regeneration is concerned.
Hematite Ring Benefits
- Courage: Hematite rings help the wearer find courage in whichever areas they feel most vulnerable, whether that be physically, spiritually, or mentally.
- Success: Hematite helps the wearer attract more opportunities, wisdom, confidence, and thus, success.
- Confidence: As touched on above, hematite can help the wearer find more confidence because it helps them ground in the here-and-now, getting them out of their head and resist negative self-talk.
- Calmness: Hematite helps manage stress and anger, and is particularly beneficial for those who find themselves with a short fuse or feeling derailed by what are really minor inconveniences or mishaps. Hematite grounds the wearer so they become more present and less likely to lose themselves in the heat of the moment when something bad happens.
- Better Boundaries: If you are a “nice” person and struggle to put better boundaries in place, hematite can help you find the strength to do so. Wear your hematite ring in situations where you know you often need to be your own advocate, such as at work or with your family.
- Better Sleep: Because hematite is such a powerful grounding stone, wearers often find that it gives them a much deeper, more restful quality of sleep. If you are having trouble sleeping, try wearing your hematite ring only at night, and put it on a few hours before bed so it can help your mind clear of worries, tension, and anxiety before it’s time to fall asleep.
- Increased Blood Flow: Hematite helps increase blood flow and is thought to strengthen the blood through its strong iron content. If you are experiencing any health issues related
- Psychic and Energetic Protection: For empaths and other sensitives and psychics, hematite is a powerful stone of protection. Hematite protects the wearer—whether sensitive or not—from negative energy and energy vampires. If you have someone in your life that leaves you feeling sapped and drained after you spend time with them, wear your hematite ring and cleanse it thoroughly when you are apart from them.
Who should use hematite rings?
If you feel called to use or work with hematite, there’s likely a good reason why and you should follow your intuition. However, if you’re still not sure, here are some of the best uses and reasons to wear a hematite ring:
- Going through times of change – whether you’re moving, going through a breakup, or getting a new job, hematite can help you stay grounded and cool, even when everything else feels in turmoil or up in the air.
- Need additional confidence or courage – this is a great stone for developing self-confidence and for times when you need a little more courage, such as a job interview, job review (especially if asking for a raise), or going into social situations where you feel like you’re on the back foot.
- Aquarius – Aquarians are headstrong but often live in their own heads, and while often empathetic, find it hard to ground and connect with others. Hematite helps balance out this natural inclination to spend time within themselves with the need to be present.
- Aries – Aries can also benefit from hematite, especially when they work with it in its brown and reddish state because it matches their fiery spirit and helps them feel balanced and more grounded.
- Paranormal investigators and psychics – if you are psychic, sensitive, or do any kind of spiritual investigation, hematite is an ideal protective stone. It can help protect you from negative energies should you come into contact with them.
How can I make sure my hematite ring lasts?
To ensure your ring lasts and doesn’t break from an overload of negative energy, make sure you cleanse it frequently. Here are some ways you can cleanse your hematite ring:
- Wave quartz or selenite over it in circular motions until you feel the energy around the ring lift
- Set your hematite ring out during the full moon
- Smudge it with the smoke from sage for a minute or two
- Set it amongst other crystals known to draw out negative energies – most clear and black stones are good at this
If you like to cleanse your stones and crystals with moon water or in other rituals that involve water, just make sure your hematite’s contact with the water is brief and pat it dry after, because the iron in the stone and water can cause some discoloration. It’s best to choose another form of cleansing to ensure your hematite stays in the best condition possible.
What finger should you wear a hematite ring on?
You should always follow your intuition and what feels good and right to you – you can’t break any rules. However, it’s generally considered best to wear it on your left hand as it is best for connecting to your higher chakras. Wearing your hematite ring will also help you connect and strengthen any psychic abilities you may have while protecting you from negative energy you may be able to sense more easily.
What should I do before I wear my ring for the first time?
It’s a good idea to cleanse your hematite ring before or soon after you first start wearing it to ensure it’s detached from any of the energies from anyone who handled it before you did. You can do this by cleansing the ring in any of the ways we explained in the How can I make sure my hematite ring lasts? section.
It’s also a good idea to sit with the ring and set your intention for what you want to achieve with your hematite ring. To set your intention with your hematite ring, sit in a quiet area with it in your palm and breathe deeply. Think about what you need from the ring, and how you want to feel while wearing it. If you want to invoke its feelings of protection, imagine that protective bubble around you. If you want to feel grounded, imagine roots going down from you deep into the earth below where you sit. If you want to invoke its healing properties, imagine its healing energy as light seeping out from the stone and spreading over your body.
You can simply do this visualization or you can speak your intentions aloud while holding the stone, you can also write your intentions out and set the stone on top of the paper to sit in the energy of your intentions.
Wearing hematite as a ring is one of the best ways to harness its properties and reap the benefits of this stone’s energies as it sits so close, or on, your skin. Make sure you regularly remove your hematite ring and cleanse it so you can keep the ring working at its best.
You might also like
- Guide to Caribbean Calcite: Meaning & Healing Properties
- Infinite Stone Guide: Meaning, Healing Properties & Uses